homework (...I presume...)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

homework (...I presume...)

Post  Dijana Lovaković on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm posting something I managed to write. I am not sure if this fits the elements we should follow so feel free to criticize EVERYTHING.

1. Choose the correct combination of past forms of the verbs in brackets:

Yesterday my mother _______ (cook) pea soup and I ______ (eat) two full plates.
a) cooked/eated b) cooked/ate c) cooks/eated d) cook/ate
(1 point: checking past simple both regular & irregular verbs)

2. Decide whether the following statement is true (T) or false (F).
Lemons, limes, oranges and other citrus fruits are also known as agrumes. T / F
(1 point)
3. Choose the appropriate article to fill in the blank.
I walked into a super market and stopped in front of the pyramid of green apples. On the top of the pyramid was ____ perfect apple.
a) an b) the c) a d) 0

4. Imagine that you have been given the opportunity to visit expensive restaurant which makes all food known to mankind. Which three food items would you like to try? Write in the form of sentences. Follow this schema:
If I ___________, then ___________.
( 3 well-formed sentences= 3 points, testing forms)

5. Write down the missing letter in the sentences as you hear them. (Instructions given orally, teacher dictates sentences, students write down only the missing letter)
Yesterday night I decided to walk home through the __ark __ark. (dark, park)
When I came home my mother served me a _ie to _ie for! (pie, die)
(2 points, 1 for each sentence)
6. Fill in the blank with the appropriate form of the word.
I'd like to order three poached __________.
a) tomatos b) tomato c) tomatoes
(1 point, testing plural form)
7. Circle the verb in past simple and underline the verb in past perfect. Enumerate the action that happened first with 1 and the action that followed with 2.
I did not have any money because I had spent it all on food.
(2 points, testing terminology and understanding)
8. Choose the correct word to fill in the blanks.
I had to __________ our lunch meeting because I had an alergic reaction to peanuts I ate by mistake for breakfast.
a) put off b) put down c) put out
(1 point)
9. Listen to the text. (students listen to the tape without written text, after listening we give them the text and ask them to write down what they have heard)
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words. Note that the first letter of the word is given.

I love going to fine r________ where they serve everything, including the d_____, using the best i_____. At the end of the evening, when it's time to ask for the c_____, usually, if the m_____ has been good, I leave a 15%-20% tip. (restaurant, dessert, ingredients, cheque, meal)
(1 point for each item =5 points)

10. Choose the appropriate word to finish the sentence.
I like both apples and oranges but my favorite fruit is ________.
a) pear b) bear c) wear d) fair
(1 point)

Enjoy! Dijana L.

Dijana Lovaković

Back to top Go down

Re: homework (...I presume...)

Post  Ivona Matkovic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 pm

It looks ok to me. The instructions are clear and the exercises are well-formed (testing what is stated in the instructions). The only thing, I would have written exercise 9. without the first letters as clues.

Cheers Smile

Ivona

Ivona Matkovic

Back to top Go down

Post  Lara Crnčan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:30 am

Dijana, I find your items to be perfect, and I wouldn't change anything so far.

I like the task with enumerating actions, very good choice. Ss are not asked only about terminology, they should also show understanding of the terminology.

Lara Smile

Lara Crnčan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mladen Marinac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 am

hi,

your test seems fine to me. The only thing that bothers me is the item no. 10. I'm not sure that's the best way to test spelling. ( in my opinion, as all MC items, it tests only recognition). Can we be sure that a student can spell this word independently?

Mladen Marinac

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:33 am

Hi, Dijana!

In addition to the feedback you have already received from your colleagues, here are some of my observations as well (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- to reply to your second sentence in the opening post --> there is really not much to criticize! When I went through your items, I was pleasantly surprised by the original approach (especially in items 4, 7 and 9)

- items 1 & 2: I must say that you've done a great job making MC and T/F items a bit more difficult Smile

- item 4: it is developed in a way that allows a lot of imagination; providing specific context was a very good idea
- the only concern I have is whether all of the sentences will have the same beginning --> perhaps you could think of the way to go about that possibility
- then again, since your focus is on form, it isn't of absolute necessity

- items 6 & 7: excellent work --> plausible distracters in 6; really well-thought out requirements in 7 (like Lara said, you've managed to find a very interesting way to test understanding; it really requires the students to show what they know) Smile

- item 8: at the intermediate level, perhaps some sort of indication of the meaning would come in handy (e.g. I had to _____ our lunch meeting for next week...)

- item 9: interesting approach, I wonder how it would work in class (whether the Ss would be able to keep focus through several types of input - first aural, then written)
- since this task consists of several steps, it would be useful to specify it even more in the instructions (i.e. to transform the explanation you gave in the brackets into instructions for the Ss)

Hope some of the comments will be useful for you! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top