English Intermediate level test by Sanja Štajdohar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

English Intermediate level test by Sanja Štajdohar

Post  sanja-stajdohar on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 pm

I must admit I'm still puzzled by the assignment and I'm not sure if I created the items properly, but here they are:

1. Choose the correct past form of the verb to fill in the blank:

I _________ too much coffee last night.

a) drinked b) drink c) drunk d) drank

(1 point)

2. Decide whether the following statement is true (T) or false (F):

An appetizer is served after the meal. T F

(1 point)

3. Choose the appropriate article to fill in the blank:

I usually don’t eat ________ cake, but ________ cake you made looks too delicious not to try.

1. a) the b) a c) no article
2. a) the b) a c) no article

(2 points)

4. Rewrite the following sentence using the word in capitals. Do not change the form of the word.

Buying one box of cereals includes getting one for free.
IF

(2 points – meaning, correct verb form)

5. Listen to the sentence. Write down the missing letters:

I don’t want to __ry, but your tomatoes seem to be too __ry.

(2 points)

6. Fill in the blank with the correct word:

They have all sorts of _________ here: beef, lamb, chicken…

(1 point)

7. Fill in each blank with the appropriate form of Past Perfect or Simple Past of the verbs in brackets.

After Andy _______ (to try) Italian cuisine, he _______ (to decide) to visit Italy.

(2 points)

8. Write one preposition in each blank to form a verb with the meaning in the brackets:

I decided to give _______ (stop consuming) sweets, but after a week my plan seemed to give _______ (stop working) and I finally gave _______ (surrender) and ate a chocolate bar.

(3 points)

9. Fill in the blanks with one appropriate word, The first example has been solved.

It 1) ___did ___not occur to me 2) _________ people thought frozen yogurt is a "health food" 3) _________ I spend some time in 4) _________ USA. There people lined up at frozen yogurt stores to buy a junk 5)_________ they considered healthy because it was 6) _________ " yogurt."
I asked several people to name the ingredients 7) _________ the frozen yogurt. Not one of them 8 ) _________. Most just 9) _________, "Yogurt." Also, the retailers 9) did not 10) _________ the ingredients on the products, so the customers didn’t have any 11) _________ of information.
After some digging, I found 12) _________ the ingredients of the popular vanilla yogurt powder. It turned 12) _________ that frozen yogurt was 14) _________ more than ice cream 15) _________ some yogurt powder.

(15 points)

10. Correct the spelling mistake in the following sentence:

This restaurant serves all sorts of pies for desert.

(1 point)

That's all, folks! Smile

('Surprised')
sanja-stajdohar

Back to top Go down

Re: English Intermediate level test by Sanja Štajdohar

Post  Dario Ban on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:29 pm

this might be a stupid question (maybe I wasn't paying attention in class): I see everyone added the number of points for each item, is it obligatory? because I didn't see that in the instructions.. scratch
Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  hendelja on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Dario Ban wrote:this might be a stupid question (maybe I wasn't paying attention in class): I see everyone added the number of points for each item, is it obligatory? because I didn't see that in the instructions.. scratch

ditto
hendelja

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Sanja, I would like to comment on your test. Smile

In my personal opinion, you did a great job, I definitely like your piece of work! Also, as I have noticed, you have followed all the instructions and covered everything in your test. The only thing I would suggest you to modify, is exercise number 3. I got a little bit confused when I saw the answers, meaning that I had to go through the answers twice or even three times to see what you meant. Therefore, as to make the task easier for the students to understand, I would provide the answers as follows (at the moment, I don't remember the structure of the sentence, so I'm not sure whether I'll provide the correct answer, but you'll see what I meant with it):

a) the, an
b) -, a
c) a, the
d) -, the

This is what I would change; concerning the rest, everything is well done. Also, just to point out, I have noticed that you were very creative while creating the test! Smile

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Dario Ban wrote:this might be a stupid question (maybe I wasn't paying attention in class): I see everyone added the number of points for each item, is it obligatory? because I didn't see that in the instructions.. scratch

It wasn't specifically emphasized that you need to do so, but it is always useful to include test specifications (see specifications of the mid-term test you analyzed). ;)
In this case, you could state: level, content of the test, tasks and scoring.
It would also be interesting to see your estimation of the time necessary to complete the test.

Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks, I was not aware of that. I'll include those aspects in my future revisions, as the deadline is fast approaching
Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 am

I think your item n. 3 is good, I didn't find it confusing. The only possible (minor) flaw I noticed is in n.8. The two give ups could cause Ss to think that "up" can't be the answer to the last blank if "up" is already the answer to the first one. I think I did a similar thing in my n. 6, creativity eluded me!
I would rephrase the first blank as "I decided to give __away__ all my sweets because of my addiction, but after a week...."
The rest is great, I particularly like n. 5 Very Happy
Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  sanja-stajdohar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Thank you, Natalia and Dario, for your kind remarks and criticism, I will take it into consideration. Smile
Now that I read the test again after some time, I would change quite a few items, but, we'll see what the next task will be. Smile

sanja-stajdohar

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

sanja-stajdohar wrote:Thank you, Natalia and Dario, for your kind remarks and criticism, I will take it into consideration. Smile
Now that I read the test again after some time, I would change quite a few items, but, we'll see what the next task will be. Smile

Hi, Sanja!

You are expected to work further on this test (it's not a one-time thing Smile), and you will hand in your final version at the end of the course.
So feel free to post what you had in mind regarding the changes you mention and exchange your opinions with you team mates. I'm sure they can help you improve your items, just as you will help them improve theirs.

When you become completely satisfied with your items, you can put this topic ad acta. Until then, I invite you to share opinions (and promise to also comment on the items myself ASAP as well).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi, Sanja!

Here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 1: I think your distracters are efficient, well-done
- I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that you're testing terminology as well --> could you try and think of the way to avoid terminology? (not necessary, just an idea)

- item 3: Natalia gave a very useful suggestion Smile
- I like this item because you're testing both types of article usage through parallel/contrasting example - well done!

- item 4: it's not an open-ended task
- reminder: open-ended tasks require the Ss to answer in their own words
- try to think of a task which would require the Ss to use conditionals --> perhaps give some context first
- in that case, you can test both form and usage

- item 5: I'm wondering whether the Ss would be familiar with the word "pry"
- the sentence is really nice so keep it, but perhaps try to adjust instructions

- items 6 & 7: well done!

- item 8: perhaps you could offer a list of 5-6 prepositions for Ss to choose from? after all, it's the intermediate level we're talking about - some Ss of English are uncertain when it comes to phrasals Smile

- item 9: there are 14 blanks and no. 9 is listed twice
- have you developed the set of words that could work for each gap, i.e. anticipated all the possible answers? (e.g. I can think of several possibilities for 6, 8 and 10)

- also, try to think of a way to raise the authenticity of this test to a higher level - at this point, it's a set of practical discrete-point items, but there are ways to make it more authentic

I hope some of these comments will be useful!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top