Homework... Ivona

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homework... Ivona

Post  Ivona Matkovic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 am

OK, here it is... An attempt (not really sure how the whole thing should look like so... Criticize away.... Smile

1. Choose the correct form of the simple past of the verb in brackets:
Yesterday, we ________ (make) pancakes for dinner. (1 point)
a) maked b) make c) made

2. Decide whether the following statement is true or false:
Chocolate cakes are usually eaten as a main course. T/F (1 point)

3. Write the appropriate article on the line below:
John is eating ___ apple. (1 point)
a) a b) an c) no article

4. Imagine the following situation: you have just been told you have inherited a chocolate factory. Your first three decisions as the new owner would be…
If __________, I ____________ (testing: forms & usage – hypothetical situation; 2 points for each sentence)

5. In the sentence below, two letters are missing. The sentence will be read out to you and you should write down two missing letters as you hear them.
There is fresh tea in that _ot with a _ot. (pot-dot) (2 points)

6. Choose the right word to fill in the blank:
Chickens and __________ are poultry. (1 point)
a) goose b) gooses c) geese

7. Use the right form of the past tense to fill in the blanks:
As he _______ (enter) the kitchen, the smell _________ (become) virtually impossible to ignore. He __________ (realize) the milk _________ (go bad). (4 points)

8. Write a two-word synonym of the verb in the brackets:
Luckily, they had managed to _________ (extinguish) the fire.

9. Paraphrase the following sentence without changing its meaning. You must start your sentence with the word given:
They managed to sistingusihed the fire caused by burned dinner without calling the firemen.
Firemen ____________________________.

10. Choose the correct word to fill in the blank:
I like light _______ better than dark.
a) bare b) bear c) beer

Ivona

Last edited by Ivona Matkovic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : figured out my mistake :))

Ivona Matkovic

Back to top Go down

Re: Homework... Ivona

Post  Lara Crnčan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:13 am

Hello, Ivona!

I find your examples excellent indeed. I liked the task with the chocolate factory inherited completely creative Smile

One technical flaw under 9): you spelled the word "extinguish" somehow odd Cool My proposal for the instruction in the same task would be to change "must" into something less of order (intermediate students and puberty ;) , just to avoid strict orders).

Taking number 8 into consideration... Maybe you could offer more possibilities in the box and state that there is a phrasal verb needed, and give some extras, just to make sure that everybody would write something down. I know that it is easier for them when they have something offered, the stage of recognition, but... Guessing is not very likely if we had 5 sentences in this task, and 2 or 3 propositions extra.

If you come across something else, I'll let you know.

Cheers, Lara Smile

Lara Crnčan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivona Matkovic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks, Lara! Smile

"spelled the word 'extinguish' somehow odd" - that's an understatement :P I actually didn't realize it until now ;)
As far as number 9, and puberty Smile, the instructions could go without "must" and state: "Paraphrase the following sentence without changing its meaning. Start your sentence with the word given"
And, yes, in a real test, I would definitely put more examples in 8.

Thanks again for reading & commenting ;)

Ivona

Ivona Matkovic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dijana Lovaković on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Just a small recommendation (it has been mentioned in class already): try and think of one more "answer" in MC questions just to lower the chances of students guessing the correct answer. If i am not mistaken, it has been mentioned that it would be best to offer four "possible answers" (if we can think of three appropriate distractors).

Dijana Lovaković

Back to top Go down

Post  Mladen Marinac on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 pm

I have nothing to add...you did a great job and I think dijana & lara covered everything...

I do have to mention I like your hypothetical situation with a chocolate factory Very Happy . though can't believe you like light beer better than dark Smile

Mladen Marinac

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi, Ivona!

In addition to the feedback you've already received, here are some of my comments (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- like Mladen, I absolutely love the chocolate factory idea! I think it could be fully exploited as the general theme throughout the test --> if you decide to further revise your items, I think this could really be taken into consideration Smile

- item 1: since the verb is provided in the options, it's redundant to put it in the brackets as well

- item 4: wonderfully creative and opens up so much space for an open-ended answer
- your instructions are also clear and specific
- since this is the intermediate level we're talking about, perhaps it would be useful to provide an example, or at least the dependent clause sample

- item 5: you could provide context if you connect it to item 4 somehow

- item 6: well thought out

- item 7: testing both terminology and usage
- in the last gap, you're asking for Past Perfect, right? --> in that case, I think you should specify that in the instructions (if you leave it as "the right form of the past tense", it seems to indicate one past tense only)

- item 8: again, context would be useful if you manage to connect it to item 4 somehow

- item 9: it's a tough one --> what was the intended solution?
- how will you score it?

Hope some of these comments will be useful! Smile

Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivona Matkovic on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. They are very useful and I will definitely use some of them in an attempt to improve the test. Smile

As far as task 9 goes, I realize now it's tough, yes.. maybe even a bit too much... I was thinking something along the lines: "Firemen were not called because they managed to extinguish the fire caused by burned dinner by themselves." but I may simplify the task a bit, I'll see. As far as the score goes, I was thinking - 2 points.

Ivona Matkovic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top