Grammar & Vocabulary Items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grammar & Vocabulary Items

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 pm

1. Circle the correct word: (1 point)

Mom ______ a fruit salad yesterday.

a) make b) made c) maked

2. Decide whether the statement is true (T) or false (F): (1 point)

French fries are made of carrots.

3. Circle the correct answer: (1 point)

I was surprised to hear that you don't like _______ ice cream.

a) the b) an c) a d) no article

4. Rewrite the sentence starting with 'If' without changing the meaning of the original sentence (2 points - 1 meaning, 1 form)

Don't eat so much chocolate, you'll get a stomachache.

IF_____________________________________________

5. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks with the letter 'p' or 'd'. (8 points)

Dear Jane, follow the instructions and the _oughnuts will be done just in time for _inner. They'll make a lovely _essert! You can make _ancakes if you wish, but it might be too much. There's still some _udding in the fridge! Please, don't forget to wash the _ishes - yes, all the _ots and _ans as well. Call me if you need help! Love, mom.

6. Match the words in the left column with those in the right column to get the right dish! (5 points)

roast pudding
fruit potatoes
mashed yoghurt
frozen salad
chocolate beef

(you'll have to use your imagination to 'see' the columns... sorry... Sad)

7. Put the verbs in the brackets () in Past Simple or Present Perfect. (2 points)

A: Are there any apples left?
B: I (buy) ________ some this morning, but your sister already (eat) _________ all of them.

8. Use the appropriate phrasal verb to replace the word in italics: (1 point)

I was baking the cake, when, suddenly, the oven exploded.

9. Fill in the blanks with only one word! (7 points)

My mom is a great cook! She ______ the best meals ever! We all _______ forward to dinnertime because _______ know we are in for a treat! Her specialties are mashed ______ and roast beef, at least that is _______ she says. If you ask me, she makes a cheese _______ that is just out of this _______.

10. Circle the correct word: (1 point)

I love eating _________.

a) sandwiches b) sendwiches c) senwiches

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Re: Grammar & Vocabulary Items

Post  Lorena Kancijanić on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

I really like your test. Just I would like to comment that in the exercise number 6 one column should be longer than the other.

Lorena Kancijanić

Back to top Go down

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

THAAAAANKS Smile and thank you for your comment! it should be longer? why? (sorry, these are the questions of an exhausted mind... scratch )

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  ana bratulic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Marina, I really like your test too! I especially love Task 5 and Task 9 and the context you provided there! My only comment regards Task 6 - as I got it we should test students' knowledge of different forms of the same vocabulary item her (e.g. singular and plural forms of nouns, different inflectional forms of verbs). My interpretation of the instructions may, however, be wrong!

Great job! Smile

ana bratulic

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorena Kancijanić on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi!
I think that it was said during the lesson that in those exercises it is advisable to have more options than is needed because we want to avoid student's guesses and make the task a little bit harder for them :/
I have one more comment which was mentioned on Thursday - the task that will examine students' understanding of p and d in the initial position should have minimal pairs and not just words that start with those letters/sounds. But for me it was really hard to find such words so I understand you completely.

Lorena Kancijanić

Back to top Go down

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:39 pm

ana bratulic wrote:Hi Marina, I really like your test too! I especially love Task 5 and Task 9 and the context you provided there! My only comment regards Task 6 - as I got it we should test students' knowledge of different forms of the same vocabulary item her (e.g. singular and plural forms of nouns, different inflectional forms of verbs). My interpretation of the instructions may, however, be wrong!

Great job! Smile

Hey Ana! Smile Thanks for your comments! First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to people in my group for my lack of activity and comments. I was away for practically half of last week, and I came home an hour ago, so.. Sad however, I will do my best to catch up with your pace and give you my suggestions, if I have any. Now, the way I understood task #6 (which, naturally, DOES NOT mean it's correct) is that we had to come up with an item which would test vocabulary, in any way. My intention was to test collocations using words which are a part of the food-related vocabulary, and that can be used to form meaningful expressions when combined. So, I don't know whether what I did was okay or not, but that was the idea behind it!
Cheers! ;)

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 pm

p.s. I just reconsidered 'form of vocabulary' as the FORM OF vocabulary rather than as a 'type of vocabulary item', if you know what I mean..., which is how I understood it when I wrote the test. So, THANKS!! I obviously made a mistake! Sad That's what colleagues are for, eh? ;)

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Lorena Kancijanić wrote:Hi!
I think that it was said during the lesson that in those exercises it is advisable to have more options than is needed because we want to avoid student's guesses and make the task a little bit harder for them :/
I have one more comment which was mentioned on Thursday - the task that will examine students' understanding of p and d in the initial position should have minimal pairs and not just words that start with those letters/sounds. But for me it was really hard to find such words so I understand you completely.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yes, it makes sense, but.. First of all, this was supposed to be a collocation task, in which case i think it might be a bit confusing and unnecessary to include extra words which don't belong there. Plus, and this is one of the things that confuse me in this course, we are supposed to make it difficult, but not complicated for our Ss when we create tasks and tests. But I think these two notions are very often interrelated and I think it can be almost impossible to make it a bit more difficult without either going too far and ruining everything by making it too obvious, or making it too confusing. That is why, in this case, I would rather keep it simple and just ask 'my Ss' to show me that they are familiar with the phrases. Because, ultimately, the goal is that they LEARN and USE the language, not that they can outsmart me, or anyone else for that matter. In my opinion, it seems that the degree to which you'll complicate things and make them more difficult in the end depends on you, since I find it to be a sort of a grey area..
As for the second part.. Yes, that too makes more sense. But, again, this approach seems quite useless to me, since it reminds me of (unnecessary) drills. The way I see it, if a S is familiar with the word, whether it is a 'pot' or a 'dot', and if they have the context, then they won't use 'dot' to say they used the 'dot' to 'cook something'. And if they do indeed say that, then, I can't possibly think of any drill in this world that would make them understand the meaning (and difference) of 'dot' and 'pot' by putting these two together and deleting the initial letter (or by using any other 'sound-difference exercise'). Plus, yes, I agree, it is very difficult to find minimal pairs that would make sense and be related to food, and it is even more so when you're doing it for something you don't find to be useful in the long run.
Keep the faith! ;)

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 am

Marina Mrazovac wrote:
...But, again, this approach seems quite useless to me, since it reminds me of (unnecessary) drills.
...and it is even more so when you're doing it for something you don't find to be useful in the long run.

Hi, Marina!

Having read your post (not just the quoted part), it occurred to me that perhaps I hadn't made the point of this assignment clear enough (or clear at all Smile). Generally, I would suggest integrative, instead of discrete-point testing. However, as (unfortunately, I might add) in real-life teaching situations many of you will actually be required to implement (or limited to implementing) discrete-point test, the aim was for you to have some practice developing such items.

To further pick upon the “greyness” you've mentioned, the tasks you decide to implement will very likely often depend on more than your inner compass – for example, with young learners, it might be difficult to use integrative testing (at least in the beginning). Also, the curriculum might state that you need to test spelling. Sometimes, one of the objectives of a course might be to test items at the level of recognition. At other times, at the level of usage.

Finally, I’d like to state that the aim of this course is not to tell you what you HAVE TO do and HOW you MUST do it, but rather to expose you to different ways of assessment, i.e. my goal is not to be prescriptive, but informative. Naturally, in the end, it’s up to you to decide which techniques you like best. After all, we all have our own learning and teaching styles. Smile

I hope this makes sense to you and that I’ve managed to shed some light on the matter.

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 am

And now to provide some feedback Smile
(please, consider my observations to be suggestions, rather than instructions)

- item 2: you could either rephrase the instructions to "Write T for 'true' or F for 'false'..." or add T and F for Ss to circle (or otherwise indicate)

- item 5: it might be useful to provide some context so that the Ss know what to expect, e.g. "Listen to a message Jane's mom left at home..." or something similar

- item 7: also testing usage; perhaps put "already" at the end to avoid somewhat clumsy word order

- item 9: you could take advantage of item 5 and connect these two using "Jane" Smile

- item 10: another possible distracter could be "sanwiches"

Hope you'll find some of these comments useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am

Dear professor,
thank you for your comments, they've been useful! It's very interesting to see how you miss the 'obvious' things, which turn out not to be so obvious after all.. And this is a great way to see what you're failing to notice while creating something that makes perfect sense to you! Smile

As for the first post, I do understand the idea behind all of this. Smile I was just expressing my opinion on the subject, which, if taken out of context, may be totally misunderstood. The issues and the 'greyness' I was referring to were more item-related and made in 'conversation' with another colleague, and are more of a general issue than course-related. The fact is that I find it a bit difficult to write a test which would be applicable on all levels since we're not dealing with actual Ss which have actual needs, goals, etc. which we can refer to (and that was related to my colleague's comment) - how complicated do you indeed make it?? Taking into consideration the level, the goals, the needs, the curriculum, etc. That is why I said I think it is a bit of a grey area in this respect when you don't have something concrete to refer to.
As for the 'drilling' part Smile, I was only referring to 'p/d' sound differentiation, which I still think is useless in the long run, but, yes, I do see and agree that discrete-point items are necessary and have to be implemented. My comment was only related to this particular item, also as a part of the conversation (because I do think that minimal pairs are irrelevant here - if they know the word, they can recognize the letter, if not, letters make very little use - my opinion and experience), but, yes, I do understand that this was only a 'sample' of a possible discrete-point item. And I am PRO DISCRETE-POINT TESTING! Very Happy Very Happy (when useful!)

Thank you for your advice and clarification! Smile

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top