Grammar and vocabulary items by Natalia Kovacevic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grammar and vocabulary items by Natalia Kovacevic

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Here is my version of the test! Smile

1. Choose the correct verb form.
John __________ a hamburger yesterday morning.
a) ate
b) eated
c) eats
d) eat

(1 point)

2. Decide if the following statement is true (T) or false (F). Circle the correct answer!

A cook in a good restaurant is called a cooker. T F

(1 point)

3. Choose the correct answer:

I like ________ Indian food.

a) the
b) -
c) an
d) a

(1 point)

4. Finish the sentence by using the appropriate conditional form.

a) If I knew the moment the food was ready, ______________________.

b) I wouldn't have eaten the cheeseburger, if _____________________.

c) I will give you my sandwich, if ______________________.

(6 points- 1 point for the appropriate conditional form, 1 point whether the sentences makes sense)

5. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate initial letter:

a) _reheat an oven to 220 _egrees.

b) Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt in a 9 inch _ie _an, and make a well in the center. _our the oil and rice milk into the well, then mix with a fork until a _ough forms. Use your hands to _ress the mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of the _an. Crimp the edge of the crust.
c) Stir together the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together the _umpkin _uree, oil, eggs, vanilla, and rice milk in a separate bowl until evenly blended. Add the _umpkin mixture to the _ry ingredients and stir until fully blended. _our into the _repared crust and _lace on a cookie sheet in the _reheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes.

(8 points)

6. Fill in the blank with the correct word to complete the idiom:

a) All the _________ in China. (someone won't do something no matter how much money he/she is offered)
b) Alike as two ___________. (identical)
c) Big ___________. (New York)
d) Cheap as __________ ( very inexpensive)

(4 points)

7. Fill in each blank with the appropriate form of the Simple Past or Past Perfect of the verbs in brackets.

a) We ______________ (cook) the whole day yesterday.
b) I wish I ____________ (become) a tennis player.
c) Last night, I ____________ (have) a crawing for pizza.
d) We _____________ (stop) to have a rest and we ______________ (eat) the chocolate we _____________ (buy) at the village shop.

(6 points)

8. Write a preposition in each blank to form a verb with the meaning in the brackets:

a) We got back late and WHIPPED ______ dinner. (Make food quickly)
b) He FEEDS his cat _______ dry food. (Give someone a particular food)
c) I'm too tired to cook- let's get a CARRY-_______. (Food bought from a restaurant to take away)
d) The children WASHED _______ after lunch. Clean everything used to prepare food and eat it
e) He GOT the drinks ______. (Pay for drinks)

(5 points)

9. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate missing word. The first has been solved:

__Every__ meal is a message, and where a) ________ eat is as important as what we b) _________ in getting the message across. Why c) _________ we not eat all our meals d) _________ the dining room? Its name would suggest e) ________ this is its purpose. But the very fact that we f) ________ it the "dining" room and not the "eating" g) _________, tells its own story. The dining room h) ________ usually reserved for "ceremonial" meals: those involving extended families i) ________ special occasions - older relatives, in-laws, and j) _________ guests to be impressed. It is probably the k) _________ absurdly underused room in the house, and a conspicuous waste l) _________ space. Despite the modern trend to more informal dining, recent surveys m) _________ shown an overwhelming majority of home buyers requesting n) __________ dining room.

(7 points)

10. Circle the spelling mistakes. There is only one mistake per sentence.

Just as clothes indicates our trendiness, so does food. When grande cuisine French cooking was in, it to(o) was extolled as "healthy." Now sushi is a fad, raw fish is praised as a "high-protein, low-fatt" source, ignoring the high rates of stomach cancer in Japan. When cheeseburgers were shown to produce enzymes that might inhibit canceer, a whole generation of food faddists was thrown into turmoil since the cheeseburger was decidedly out.

(4 points)

This is it! Feel free to comment!
[b]

Last edited by Natalia Kovacevic on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Re: Grammar and vocabulary items by Natalia Kovacevic

Post  Dario Ban on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 am

I think your test is very good. But if I really have to split hairs, I would single out item number 5. Ss might get confused because the instructions say "the appropriate letter", which means that any letter from A to Z could be correct (a stupid example from the top of my head: they could write can instead of pan), maybe it would be better to specify that you're looking for /p/ and /d/.

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I wasn't quite sure whether to put /p/ and /d/ in the instruction or not, therefore I left it that way to hear what you think. Now I see that it is better with the specification, as not to confuse the Ss. Thanks Dario, I appreciate your suggestion!!! Very Happy

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  sanja-stajdohar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Well done, Natalija! Smile

It seems to me you put a lot of effort to this test, the exaples are interesting and appropriate, the level seems to be respected, I would also agree with Dario's comment on task 5, since I had the same experience Smile
I couldn't find any obvious mistakes, it is clear and well organized, and follows the testing principles.

Also, concerning Task 5, what is the recipe for? It sounds interesting, maybe I'll try it Smile

sanja-stajdohar

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Thank you, Sanja! Smile

I'm glad to hear that! The test wasn't that difficult to design; the only thing that cost me a lot of effort and time was seaching for appropriate texts and examples. Shocked

Another thing that a have noticed after going through my test several times, is the fact that I have too many examples for each task. Maybe I should have written only one for each, except for task n.9, where it says: "An item or series of items..."
What do you think?

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Sorry Sanja, I completely forgot to tell you about the recipe- it's a recipe for a pumpkin pie. Try baking it, it must be delicious, mmmm Smile

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:50 am

Hi, Natalia!

Here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 4: nice approach, you've managed to come up with an open-ended task, and still keep the Ss oriented towards the conditional form - well done! Smile
- also, point division seems so be appropriate

- item 5: in addition to what Dario suggested, would you consider turning this into a listening task? (as sound recognition is what we're aiming at)
- also, perhaps context would be useful, e.g. "Now you'll hear a recipe for..."

- item 6: this one got me thinking! Smile It would definitely require pre-teaching those idioms
- I think it would be better if the idioms were contextualized (in addition to the meaning in the brackets)

- item 9: gaps in cloze tests often have more than one possible solution --> think about writing up a list of acceptable answers
- perhaps some context would be useful so that the Ss know what to expect

- item 10: specific instructions, well done
- perhaps the text is a bit too difficult for an intermediate level (e.g. fad, inhibit, turmoil)
- can you please provide the solutions? I can't seem to find mistakes in all the sentence scratch

- generally, try to think of a way to add more to the authenticity of the test

Hope you'll find some of these comments useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Any kind of advice is useful, thus thank you for the suggestions, I will bare them in mind and most probably change something!!

Concerning task 10, I've edited the first version of the test, so the errors are in bold Smile

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top