My items - my test items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My items - my test items

Post  hendelja on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm

1. Choose the correct form of the verb to fill in the blanks:

I _______ an apple for dinner yesterday.

a) have
b) has
c) had

2. Circle the following letter if the statement is true (T) or false (F):

Breakfast is served in the morning.

3. Fill in the blanks with articles (the, a/an):

My mother is ___ best cook in town. She baked ___ cake for my birthday, made ___ salad and even roasted ___ ostrich.

4. Rewrite the following sentence using the word in capitals. Do not change the form of the word.

You have to put ketchup on your French fries.
IF

5. Write down either p or d:

I _are you to eat that _ear.

6. What do we eat with spaghetti? Write down at least three words.

____________________________________________________________________.

7. Write in the appropriate form of the verb.

I __________ (to be) quietly __________ (eat) my peanuts in front of the TV when you _______ (appear) with pizza.

8. Use the verbs in column A to complete the sentences in column B.

Column A Column B
a) put in a) The chef ______ put on his robe and cooking hat.
b) put on b) The dinner was _______ for next week.
c) put off c) I _______ some spices.

9. You are at a fancy dinner and are eating dessert. Describe the service, the looks and the taste of the food.

10. Listen and write (tomato, lunch, meal, potato, cook, boil):

Last edited by hendelja on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bolding)
hendelja

Back to top Go down

Re: My items - my test items

Post  Dario Ban on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:28 am

your first sentence in item n. 8 already contains the answer: The chef ______ put on his robe and cooking hat.
Of course, maybe you used this sentence as an example, in which case you can disregard this remark.
N. 10 is in my opinion a bit confusing in its simplicity. If Ss are only listening to a word and then writing it on the paper, they could, for example, use the word mill instead of meal, because of the similar pronunciation. In this case sentences could be helpful to provide context, e.g. They serve great ___meals___ in Luigi's restaurant. "Mill" couldn't be used in this sentence
The rest is very nice, especially the roasted ostrich Laughing
Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  hendelja on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am

Dario Ban wrote:your first sentence in item n. 8 already contains the answer: The chef ______ put on his robe and cooking hat.
Of course, maybe you used this sentence as an example, in which case you can disregard this remark.

Let's go with that. Smile

Context for task 10 seems like a good idea.
hendelja

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi Andrej, here are some suggestions for your test:

At first glance, your example choice seems very interesting. But considering it more closely, I would change some things.

In task n.2, I believe you forgot to put the T and F after the statement.

Concerning task n.4, I'm under the impression that you've forgotten something, actually the second part of the sentence in order to finish the conditional clause.

And finally, in task n.8 (the matching task), I would first put the sentence, then the missing verb. I don't know why, but it seems more natural to me.

Last edited by Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  sanja-stajdohar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello!
Here is my contribution Smile

I like your productive items 6 and 9 because they meet the objectives( I'm overusing this phrase Smile) and are interesting and topic related.
What needs improvement is task 4, the example is quite unclear and I don't think students would figure out what the conditional sentence should look like. maybe if you add the verb eat for the French fries.
Also, in task 7 you put Past Continuos and Simple Past, and the task was Past Perfect and Simple Past.
I agree with Dario's and Natalija's comments on other issues.

Live long and prosper Smile
sanja-stajdohar

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm

sanja-stajdohar wrote:

Also, in task 7 you put Past Continuos and Simple Past, and the task was Past Perfect and Simple Past.

Just a little remark, the instruction says: "An item to test students' understanding of terminology about simple and perfect verb tenses." This doesn't imply the fact that we have to use explicitely the simple past and past perfect; we may also use the present simple and present perfect tense, it's up to us which tense to use. However, in Andrej's case, the past continuous is superfluous.

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi, Andrej!

In addition to the feedback you've already received from your colleagues, here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 2: perhaps the target vocabulary item ("breakfast") is too simple for an intermediate level
- also, remember to put T and F, like Natalia pointed out

- item 4: what was the intended answer here?
- what would you score?
- at this point, I'm not sure whether it's open-ended --> it's missing some context
- just to remind you: open-ended tasks require the Ss to answer in their own words; if you give them a sentence to rewrite, it's already limited (there is often just one, max. 2 ways to paraphrase)

- item 5: due to the vocals ("a" vs. "ea"), it could also work as a listening task
- some context would add authenticity to the task

- item 6: what are you aiming at, i.e. what were the intended answers?
- you would need to develop a set of acceptable answers
- what would you score here? I'm not sure word form is the focus of this task

- item 7: when we're talking about testing terminology, it includes testing to see whether the Ss understand the terms such as "Past Simple" or "adverb"
- you can test for recognition or usage
- consider revising your instructions

- item 8: I agree with Natalia, it would probably be easier to process if you switched column A for column B Smile

- item 9: it allows for a lot of creativity Smile
- you've provided specific context, which is always useful for your Ss
- which elements would you score?

- generally, consider thinking of a way to add a common topic throughout the test, which would add authenticity and provide certain schema for the Ss

Hope you'll find some of these comments useful! Smile

Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  hendelja on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 am

Final version comments:

Items:

1. n/a

2. added T F as suggested, "breakfast" is now "supper", a less frequent word.

3. n/a

4. added sentence ending to give context.

5. did not know how to make a minimal pair exercise authentic (except for giving instructions "What sounds make the meaning of these words different?"), so I left it unauthentic.

6. Unchanged. It's an open ended, productive task.

7. Removed the second part of the "past continuous".

8. Switched the columns. Very Happy

9. Unchanged. A complete answer would describe the service, the looks of the meal and the taste of the meal.

10. Added some "food" context.
hendelja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top