Diana's items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diana's items

Post  DianaPredrag on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Here are my items. This really wasn't an easy task and I'm sure there are many flaws, so... Comment away Very Happy

1. Fill in the blank with the appropriate word:
Yesterday Mary ___________ a whole pizza for lunch. She couldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day.
a)eated
b) ate
c) eats
(1 point)

2. Decide whether the following statement is true (T) or false (F):
Soup is usually eaten as a dessert. T / F
(1 point)

3. Choose the appropriate article:
____ apple a day keeps the doctor away.
a) the
b) a
c) an
(1 point)

4. Rewrite the following sentence using the word in capitals. Don't change the meaning of the original sentence.
Eating too much sweets results with stomach problems.
IF YOU ___________________________.
(2 points – meaning, form)

5. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate initial letters:
My mother always complains that I don't eat enough healthy food. She thinks I only eat _ies, _ounuts and _esserts but she is wrong! I eat fruits and vegetables almost every _ay. I especially like _eas and _otatoes.
(6 points)

6. Fill in the blank with the appropriate word:
Almost every day I eat scrambled _________ for breakfast.
(1 point)

7. Fill in the blanks with verbs in the appropriate form of Simple Past or Past Perfect:
After Ted _____________ (to taste) French cuisine, he ___________ (to decide) to become a proffesional chef.
(2 points)

8. Fill in the blank with the two-word synonym of the verb in brackets:
After another argument with Mary, Tom realized that he was _________ (unable to put up with something any longer) with the situation and decided to leave.
( 1 point)

9. Write a short paragraph about what you had for lunch yesterday. In three sentences, explain who prepared the meal, what you ate and how you liked it. Pay attention to the grammar and spelling of your sentences!
(for each sentence:
2 points – sentences are gramatically correct, no spelling mistakes, meaning is clear
1 point – sentences are partially gramatically correct, some spelling mistakes, meaning relatively clear
0 points – too many grammatical mistakes, poor spelling, meaning not clear)

10. Correct the spelling mistakes in the following sentence. There are two mistakes!
I had pankakes and orange juce for breakfast today.
(1 point; 0,5 points for each mistake)

DianaPredrag

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana's items

Post  Jasmina Jelcic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Diana!

I find your items diverse and practical when it comes to assessment. I especially like how you managed to design items 1-3 and 8-10 since I find them to be valid and practical in terms of time necessary to solve them.

Here are some of my observations/ questions/comments:

Item 4 - I find transformation sentences to be a practical approach to testing conditional sentences. However, are transformation sentences really open-ended? Open-ended items, in my understanding, are those requiring creativity and linguistic resourcefulness from those taking the test. Transformation sentences, on the other hand, with their already fixed beginning of the sentence, do not really allow for such approach. What do you think?

Item 5 - I had difficulty trying to come up with an item which would test sound recognition. I believe your item tests vocabulary, not sound recognition. I also think any item testing sound recognition should be a listening task, because how do you test recognition of sounds which are already written down and are no longer sounds, but letters? Therefore, I find your item to be more suitable for testing spelling perhaps.

Item 7 - I believe your item tests usage of the past simple and present perfect rather than understanding of the terminology involved. I also had difficulty with this item. Take a look at mine and tell me what you think! I'm sure there is plenty of room for further improvement of my list of items. ;)

Jasmina Jelcic

Back to top Go down

Post  DianaPredrag on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Since I already responded (in a way) to some of your comments in your topic, I would like to turn my attention to the Item 5 here: honestly, I didn't really understand the concept of the task and what was what we really have to do. You made it a bit clearer now (thank you for that Smile), and you're absolutely right. So what do you think, if I simply turned this task into a listening one, would that be better?

And also, you do have a point considering Item 4, but I still think that both of our approaches are quite similar in a way. Your does seem more open-ended, as was required, but it is almost impossible to test Ss creativity in conditional clauses. They still have to use the appropriate sentence construction, and therefore correctness has to come before any type of creativity. This really is an interesting problem, we should discuss it a bit more Smile

DianaPredrag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Jelcic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Yes, I believe if you turn your sentences from item 5 into something to be listened, you would have solved the validity problem. As for item 4, you do have a point. I realize my item (imagine you are a manager...) does not allow for much creativity as I would wanted it, but somehow it seemed to me less restrictive than the transformation sentences task. On the other hand, your item envolves far easier grading approach than mine. Hm..If I were a real teacher and this was a real problem, perhaps I wouldn't bother with my item and I would just use transormation sentences myself Smile

Jasmina Jelcic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:07 am

Hi, Diana!

First, an impression to share: Jasmina has almost stolen your thunder here by providing amazing feedback! Very Happy Well done, both of you!

Here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 1: do the Ss have to write the word or just circle it? If the latter is the case, consider rephrasing the instructions
- try to think of another distracter, if possible (not obligatory)

- item 3: as the beginning of the sentence is required, maybe the options should be capitalized?

- item 4: it could be useful to add some background context in order to open up the item to more creative replies, e.g. "Eating too much sweets can cause some problems for you. Can you think of any problems? Write them down..." or something similar

- item 5: in addition to making it a listening task, you could also connect it to Mary from task 1

- items 6, 9 and 10: excellent work Smile

- item 7: careful with how you spell "professional" ;)

- generally, try to make the test more authentic as a whole

Hope you'll find some of these comments useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top