Jasmina's items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jasmina's items

Post  Jasmina Jelcic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok, here is the list of my items. Don't be too harsh ;)

1. Please choose the correct past form of the verbs in brackets: /5 points/

A. Although my lunch (taste) good, I couldn't eat it all.
a) tasting
b) tasted
c) tastes
d) tasten
B. I (take) the glasses from the shelf, but forgot the plates.
a) tooked
b) taked
c) took
d) taken
C. My hands almost (freeze) on the can of Cola the waitress handed to me.
a) frozen
b) froze
c) freezing
d) frez
D. The waiter (bring) me a dessert before the main course.
a) brang
b) bringed
c) brought
d) brote
E. Ivan (know) Chinese food wouldn't be his cup of tea.
a) knewd
b) knowed
c) knowing
d) knew

2. Decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F): /3 points/
2.1. Waiter is a male person who serves people food and beverages. T-F
2.2. When you are ready to pay for your meal, you will ask for a prescription. T-F
2.3. A spork is a combination of a fork and a knife. T-F

3. Read the text and choose the correct article: /6 points/

Yesterday I met A)___ man who recommended B)___ Thai restaurant which was located somewhere downtown. C)___ man seemed as D)___ reliable source: he told me E)____ lot of information concerning some of F)____ best restaurants in town. He obviously knew a lot about food so I took his advice and visited the restaurant.

A) a) the b) then c) an d) a
B) a) an b) a c) the d) me
C) a) the b) a c) of d) an
D) a) a b) an c) and d) an
E) a) the b) a c) an d) by
F) a) then b) be c) the d) a

4. (This item is designed to test usage of conditional clauses.) /10 points/
Imagine you were a manager of an expensive French restaurant. Write 10 sentences describing what you would do. Start each sentence with "If..", for example: If I were a manager, I would try to make all of my customers feel at home in my restaurant.

5. Listen to the teacher dictating 4 sentences. Write down what you hear. /3 points/
Dictation: My dad was never a good cook. His frying pan adventures would only end up in him getting burned and having a slightly different tan. He would get so confused that instead of tap water, he would serve us oil in a tall glass. We are always a tad suspicious when we see him entering the kitchen.

6. Write the plural form of the following words: /4 points/

sugar ________
spaghetti ________
egg ________
corn ________
strawberry ________
asparagus ________
milk ________
tomato _______

7. Underline the past participle in the following sentences: /2 points/
I have tried her cooking, but I am afraid it might not be at my liking.
Has you ever been to a Turkish restaurant?[i]

8. Fill in the missing prepositions by using the list below: /4 points/

AFTER OFF BACK OVER ON

1. They took ___ as soon as the diner closed.
2. He takes____ his grandfather who also had huge arms.
3. Maria decided to take ____ the coffee shop since her sister lacked the managerial skills.
4. The old woman was sorry for what she said to her daughter, but she refused to take it ____ .

9. Fill in the blanks by using an appropriate word. /6 points/

English cousine ____ be one of the most disliked in the world. Foreigners visiting the British Isles usually return ____ their homes with beautiful impressions of British culture, arts and history. ______, British food is an entirely different matter. Sheperd pie and English breakfast do not _____ to be everybody's cup of tea. Moreover,____ majority finds eating fish, mushrooms and beans for breakfast quite unappealing. The British people are ____offended by this general dislike of their cousine, since negative advertisment is still - advertisment.

10. Underline the spelling errors contained in the following sentences: /3 points/

The dinner closed at 8pm so we had to go somewhere else.
No matter how well my mother prepares them, I could never force myself to eat beens.
She left the kichen only to come back with a freshly pluckt chiken.
I was serveeing food, when a gentleman approached me asking for a chek.

Jasmina Jelcic

Back to top Go down

Re: Jasmina's items

Post  DianaPredrag on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm

You did a great job with these items, I dare to say. I especially like the way you approached tasks 2, 4, 5 and 7, which I found particularly difficult to prepare. So, these are my comments:

-this is a very general observation considering task 2: I really don't like the idea of testing the meaning of vocabulary through T/F items... such testing is appropriate for reading or listening comprehensions, but there are much better ways of checking whether the Ss have acquired and understood the meaning of specific words (for example, fill-ins, short responses, etc); that, of course, doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your items, quite the contrary - if we have to choose this unfortunate way of testing meaning, we definitely should choose slightly more elaborate and complex expressions

-considering task 4, I really like the way you defined this task, it asks for the Ss to be creative and to really ''use'', that is, produce language; the only thing is, I think that when one prepares such items where Ss are to use their creativity, one should really be prepared for a variety of different answers; that's why I would like to draw attention to your pointing system: maybe the higher number of points per sentence would be better so that more flexibility can be achieved in terms of testing their sentences

-I really like the way you prepared and formed task 7: this is really a great way to test the Ss understanding, and it is also pretty simple to come up with examples; the task is simple, concrete, valid and testable

All in all, a very good list of items, I may come up with more comments tomorrow Smile

DianaPredrag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Jelcic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm

DianaPredrag wrote:-considering task 4, I really like the way you defined this task, it asks for the Ss to be creative and to really ''use'', that is, produce language; the only thing is, I think that when one prepares such items where Ss are to use their creativity, one should really be prepared for a variety of different answers; that's why I would like to draw attention to your pointing system: maybe the higher number of points per sentence would be better so that more flexibility can be achieved in terms of testing their sentences

You are right! I should have introduced some rubrics specifying what I would look at since responses would probably vary among Ss. Thanks for your suggestions! Smile

Jasmina Jelcic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 am

Hi, Jasmina!

In addition to Diana's well-pointed and constructive comments, I will add some observations too (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 1: I don't think you need to put the verbs in brackets, since you have four options below - it seems redundant; unless, of course, you have some specific reason to do so? Smile
- distracters: in C, perhaps "freeze" would work better than "frez" (I think an existing word would be a more efficient distracter); in D, "bring" might work better than "brote" (to avoid introducing the phonological level of language into this item)

- item 2: I really like your sentences!
- note: I agree with Diana, there are more appropriate ways to test vocabulary than T/F items. Generally, I would suggest integrative, instead of discrete-point testing. However, as (unfortunately, I might add) in real-life teaching situations many of you will actually be required to implement (or limited to implementing) discrete-point test, so the aim of this assignment was for you to have some practice developing such items.

- item 3: I would suggest changing the label of the gaps into numbers --> capital letters combined with lettered options might confuse some Ss

- item 4: excellent work! Smile
- Diana has already commented on the possible downside so if you decide to revise the item, her feedback will be useful

To be continued...

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 am

...continued:

- item 5: possibly add some context, instead of just saying "Listen to the teacher dictating..."; i.e. something along the lines - "You'll hear a story about Tim's father..." (but more concrete)

- item 6: tricky, because of the uncountable nouns --> what is the point system here? Do you expect the Ss to only choose the countable ones and write the plural? What would you do if somebody wrote "two cartons of milk"?

- item 7: why use incorrect sentences? scratch

- item 8: although obvious, maybe it would be useful to indicate that there is one extra option

- item 9: try to provide context in the instructions, e.g. "Read a text on..."
- be careful with your spelling (cuisine)

- item 10: well done, I especially like the first sentence (and it is also testing meaning)

Hope you'll find some of these comments useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Jelcic on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Thank you for finding the time to comment on my items! I find all of your comments useful and I will definitely take them into account when revising my items. Smile

I have only one question concerning task 1. I included the base form of verbs in brackets thinking it would aid Ss in choosing the appropriate verb form. I know a blank line is usually used in this kind of tasks, but I thought putting the verb in brackets might help Ss solve the task. Do you find it acceptable, but not advisable? Or would you definitely suggest using a blank line instead?

Jasmina Jelcic

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Jasmina Jelcic wrote:T
I have only one question concerning task 1. I included the base form of verbs in brackets thinking it would aid Ss in choosing the appropriate verb form. I know a blank line is usually used in this kind of tasks, but I thought putting the verb in brackets might help Ss solve the task. Do you find it acceptable, but not advisable? Or would you definitely suggest using a blank line instead?

Sorry, didn't see the question.
Well, it's basically up to you. I thought it would confuse the Ss, but if you have a different logic, feel free to leave it as it is. Smile

Irena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top