Grammar and vocabulary items - Dario Ban

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grammar and vocabulary items - Dario Ban

Post  Dario Ban on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 pm

the general lack of time forced me to make this test incredibly dull, boring and probably filled with errors. enjoy! Surprised
EDIT: I just noticed we're the first group to complete, do we get a cookie? Very Happy

1. Choose the correct form of the verb to fill in the blank:
My grandmother ________ this pie yesterday.
a) bake
b) baked
c) bakes

2. Decide if the following statement is True (T) or False (F)
Potatoes have been used for centuries to make vodka.

3. Complete the sentence with a, an, or the:
I have eaten ____ apple today.

4. Rewrite the following sentence without changing the meaning.
She doesn’t know how to make a cake, otherwise she would do it herself.
If ____________________________________________________________. (usage and spelling)

5. Listen to the tape and then fill in the blanks with the either /p/ or /d/
We ate a whole Peking _uck for lunch at the Chinese restaurant. Later, mum bought some _otatoes, one _ark chocolate and two _ears at the supermarket.

6. Fill in the blanks with a form of the word "fry."
The _______ (fried) chicken is a dish consisting of chicken pieces. To prepare this dish, you should first flour and batter the pieces. When you're done, put them on a ______ (frying) pan and ________ (fry) them. After a few minutes, your dinner will be ready. This dish became especially famous after the chain of fast food restaurants Kentucky ________ (Fried) Chicken was founded in 1930.

7. a) Circle the present simple verb in the following sentence:
Arguing is not wise at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument.
b) Circle the past perfect verb in the following sentence:
When she came home she asked me if I was hungry. But I was not hungry, I had just eaten.

8. Fill in the blanks by using the phrasal verbs below:

BOILED DOWN / SLICE OFF / FRIED UP

1. He ________ the meat ____ the bone.
2. He always _______ ____ a good breakfast in the morning.
3. The sauce was too thin and needed to be ________ ____.

9. Fill in the blanks by using an appropriate word:
The Chinese word for _____ (rice) is "fan" which also means "food." It may be served with any _____ (meal), and is ______ (eaten) several times a day. Although the Chinese generally do not eat a lot of _______ (meat), pork and chicken are often cooked. _______ (vegetables) like mushrooms, peas and carrots play a central role in Chinese cooking too.

10. Correct the spelling mistakes in the following sentences:
Spanish cuisine consists of a variety of dishees, which derive from differences in geography, culture and climate. It is heavily influenced by seefood available from the waters that surround the country. Spain's extensive history with many cultural influences has led to a great number of unique cusines with literally thousands of recipis and flavors. It is also famous for its health benefits and fresh ingreddients.

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Reply :)

Post  sanja-stajdohar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

First of all, I support the cookie idea! Smile

Now, for the test:

Positive:

- I like Task 6 because you managed to test the same word in its several forms that students often mix, so I think it is a useful task and meets the objective.
- Generally, I like your examples because not only do they serve as a testing context, but also provide useful information, and I think this is what distinguishes good tasks from great ones. (especially tasks 9 and 10)

Needs improvement:

- Task 9: The first gap (rice) would be difficult for students because there is no other clue in the text except for the Chinese word equivalent and the context of it being Chinese cuisine (which is culturally bound). But thanks for the language lesson in Chinese Smile

- task 10: there is a clue in the first sentence for the word cuisine appearing later in the text (as you mentioned already in your post reply to my items).

Overall, I think you followed the principles of good item making, so there’s not much more to say. Well done! (*tap on the head*)

sanja-stajdohar

Back to top Go down

Re: Grammar and vocabulary items - Dario Ban

Post  Natalia Kovacevic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Dario, now to comment on your masterpiece Smile

I must say that I completely agree with everything Sanja has previously mentioned. Even though you were under time pressure, you did a great job! You were creative while inventing the examples and abode by the rules (instructions).
Also, to split hairs, in exercise 10, I would give a hint in the instructions about the number of spelling mistakes. Considering the fact that we're talking about the intermediate level, I believe it would be wise to put the number of mistakes (da ne bude kao kod nas u jezicnim vjezbama 3, Shocked ). That would be the only remark, the rest is excellent!!

Good job! Very Happy

Natalia Kovacevic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

thanks for the suggestions! Very Happy I agree with your remarks, I'll edit the test as soon as I can Surprised

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi, Dario!

Cookie will be taken into consideration Very Happy

In addition to the very useful feedback your colleagues provided, here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- I completely agree with Sanja's comment on your examples
not only do they serve as a testing context, but also provide useful information, and I think this is what distinguishes good tasks from great ones

- throughout the test, you've mentioned several national cuisines (Russian - vodka, Chinese and Spanish) --> consider developing that as the general theme for the whole test

- item 2: I suppose this could be based on a text/task that had been covered in the hypothetical class? Smile
- add T and F for the Ss to circle

- item 4: it's not an open-ended task
- reminder: open-ended tasks require the Ss to answer in their own words --> if you ask the Ss to rephrase, you already have an expected answer in mind, which is not the point of an open-ended task
- try to think of a task which would require the Ss to use conditionals --> perhaps give some context first
- in that case, you can test both form and usage

- item 5: along the lines of my previous comment, providing context within instructions would be very useful (e.g. Listen to Penny talking about...)

- item 7: envisioned well, but there is a problem with a) --> is there only ONE Present Simple verb to circle?
- consider revising

- item 8: I think the verbs you've chosen are appropriate for the level and context

- item 9: I agree with Sanja, the first gap is really difficult so consider revising it or the whole task Smile
- also, for cloze tests, it is always advisable to develop a set of acceptable answers for each gap (several words could work for some of the gaps)

There you go, I hope some of these comments will be useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

- throughout the test, you've mentioned several national cuisines (Russian - vodka, Chinese and Spanish) --> consider developing that as the general theme for the whole test
good idea, I'll give it a shot!

- item 2: I suppose this could be based on a text/task that had been covered in the hypothetical class? Smile
of course! though the hypothetical text isn't necessarily about alcohol

- item 4: it's not an open-ended task
- reminder: open-ended tasks require the Ss to answer in their own words --> if you ask the Ss to rephrase, you already have an expected answer in mind, which is not the point of an open-ended task
- try to think of a task which would require the Ss to use conditionals --> perhaps give some context first
- in that case, you can test both form and usage

- item 5: along the lines of my previous comment, providing context within instructions would be very useful (e.g. Listen to Penny talking about...)

- item 7: envisioned well, but there is a problem with a) --> is there only ONE Present Simple verb to circle?
- consider revising
will do! Surprised yeah, you're right about item 7. I c/p-ed the instructions and then forgot to change them No

- item 8: I think the verbs you've chosen are appropriate for the level and context
thanks! Very Happy

- item 9: I agree with Sanja, the first gap is really difficult so consider revising it or the whole task Smile
- also, for cloze tests, it is always advisable to develop a set of acceptable answers for each gap (several words could work for some of the gaps)
I'll revise that item definitely

There you go, I hope some of these comments will be useful! Smile
not some, all of them! Very Happy
thank you for the feedback!

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  hendelja on Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

task 9: mushrooms are not vegetables. (from a biological point of view)

hendelja

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 pm

interesting, didn't know that. do vegeterians/vegans eat mushrooms? Surprised

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  hendelja on Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm

vegetarians eat nothing from the biological "animalia" kingdom, mushrooms are of course "funghi" and plants "plantae".

hendelja

Back to top Go down

Post  Dario Ban on Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 pm

Google tells me (since I don't know almost nothing about biology, had it only in the first grade) that some people even claim mushrooms are in the same family as animals, e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opisthokonta
it seems there is some disagreement on the number and nature of kingdoms that exist in biology, sounds a bit like psycholinguistics

sorry for the off-topic, professor!

Dario Ban

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top