červar_test

View previous topic View next topic Go down

červar_test

Post  marta červar on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Here's what I did:

I. Choose the correct verb forms.

Yesterday evening I _______ a whole cake and _______sick.
a. eated/gotten
b. ate/got
c. ate/goted
d. eaten/got
(1 point)

II. Decide if the following statement is true (T) or false (F).

Dairy products include bread, cereals and rice. T / F
(1 point)

III. Fill in the blanks with the correct article ( a, an, the or no article)

I don’t like ____ bananas but I really like ___ banana ice-cream.
(2 points)

IV. Rewrite the sentence by using the appropriate conditional clause.

I ate the whole cake and I got sick.
If I _________________ (not eat) I ____________________ (not get) sick.

(2 points – appropriate form)

V. Listen to the sentence. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate initial letter.

I _ay 10 dollars a week to have my groceries delivered every _ay.
( 2 points)

VI. Match the words from the left column to the words from the right column to form compound nouns. Mind there is one extra item in the right column.

pea bean
pop meal
soy berry
oat nut
grape corn
fruit

(5 points)

VII. Underline the past participles in the following sentence.

When I got to the party John had already left and all the food was gone.
( 2 points)

VIII. Complete the sentence by explaining the meaning of the verb in italics.

If food or drink goes off, it becomes __________________________.
(1 point)

IX. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words.

What do you, the trees, and a hamster have ______ (1) common? You all need water. All living things ______(2) have water to survive, whether they get it from a water fountain, a rain cloud, or a little bottle attached ______(3) the side of a hamster cage. Without water, your body _______ (4) stop working properly. Water makes _____ (5) more than half of your body weight and a person can't survive for more than _____ (6) few days without it. Your body doesn't get water only ______ (7) drinking water. Any fluid you drink will contain water, but water and milk are ______ (8 ) best choices. Lots of foods contain water, too. Fruit contains quite a bit of water, which you could probably tell if you ______ (9) ever bitten into a peach or plum and felt the juices dripping ______ (10) your chin!
(10 points)

X. There are some spelling mistakes in the following words. Rewrite them with the correct form. Be careful, not all the words are misspelled.
paultry, raspberry, mashrooms, chease, baicon, pinapple, dessert, sallmon

marta červar

Back to top Go down

Re: červar_test

Post  marta červar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 am

Please, imagine that the word FRUIT in the task 6 is in the right (not left) column. and that these really are columns Very Happy

I also have a question regarding my task 10. You may have noticed that I haven't put the number of points for it. My intention was: not to give away the number of misspelled words. I also considered removing the points from task 7. How to deal with these situations?

marta červar

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, Marta!

Just to briefly answer your questions (I will dedicate more time to the rest of your items later):
- in 7, you could assign 0.5 points for each so the total will be 1
- in 10, you could give points for both the correctly and incorrectly spelled words, i.e. if the Ss recognize that the word is correct, you can also give a point; and if they try to rewrite correct words, you can deduct points - so the total in the task could be 8 points

Does this help? Smile

Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi, Marta!

I think you've done a really good job here Smile
I especially like items 2, 5, 6 and 8.

At this point, I will not comment more specifically, because I would like your colleagues to give some feedback first.
(I have noted down my observations, though, so you will definitely receive my feedback soon)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Davor Plese on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi, Marta!

Here are just a few comments about your test that I otherwise find to be interesting and well done. Smile

In the first task, I would put possible answers for each line separately because that way Ss have less chance to guess the correct answer (the way it is done now, if the S knows that "ate" should go on the first line, he has only two options to choose from for the second line).

Also, I'm not really sure that Task IV is an open-ended task as it should be. However, I might be wrong. Smile
Davor Plese

Back to top Go down

Post  marta červar on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Davor Plese wrote:Hi, Marta!

Here are just a few comments about your test that I otherwise find to be interesting and well done. Smile

In the first task, I would put possible answers for each line separately because that way Ss have less chance to guess the correct answer (the way it is done now, if the S knows that "ate" should go on the first line, he has only two options to choose from for the second line).

You are right, thanks for that!

Also, I'm not really sure that Task IV is an open-ended task as it should be. However, I might be wrong. Smile
True. It is not really an open-ended task. (lack of creativity scratch ). I didn't know how to give context for the task without using the conditional forms (in which case the students could simply figure out the forms from the context/instructions and use them in their own sentences).

p.s. sorry, I don't know how to quote, so I put my text in bold No

marta červar

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Dear Marta,

I am so sorry to be so terribly late with this feedback. No

Here are my comments:

- item 1: since you have a combination in each of the options, I don't think using unacceptable forms such as “eated“ or “goted” is necessary. You might as well use “eaten” and “gotten” instead, since these are actual forms, but don’t fit into the given sentence.

- item 4: as Davor said, this item is not open-ended. Take a look at some other examples your colleagues posted and you might find something inspiring.

- item 5: I really like this item, but a way to make it even better would be to provide some context, either in the actual task, or in the instructions

- item 6: this is a great way to test compound nouns!

Generally, this is quite a good test, the only aspect that could perhaps be improved is its authenticity.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum