Grammar and vocabulary items - Ana

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grammar and vocabulary items - Ana

Post  ana bratulic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 am

I. Choose the correct form of the verb to fill in the blank.
He ______________ the last piece of cake when mum wasn't looking.
a) tooked
b) took
c) taken

II. Decide if the following statement is True (T) or False (F).
Sunny side up is another name for scrambled eggs. T / F

III. Choose the appropriate article to fill in the blank.
Would you like _______ cup of coffee while you wait?
a) a
b) an
c) the

IV. You and your sister are preparing lunch together. You have to negotiate with her in order to decide who does what. Complete the conditional clause:
If you peel the potatoes, I __________________________________________________ .

V. Fill in the blanks with either /p/ or /d/.
What are we having for _inner?
Your favourite _ish: _iced _ork with _eas and _otatoes. And there is a _elicious _umpkin _ie for _essert!

VI. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate plural form of words in the brackets.
Could you please buy a tin of _______________ (tomato), two kilos of _______________ (cherry) and three ________________ (grapefruit) on your way home?

VII. a) Underline past simple verb in the following sentences:
Have you ever visited that Japanese restaurant round the corner?
Yes, I have. I ate Peking Duck, which is actually a Chinese rather than a Japanese national dish!
b) Underline past participle in the following sentences:
The Spanish introduced potato to Europe in the second half of the 16th century. The Europeans were distrustful of it at first but in the 18th century potato saved Europe from famine. It has become a staple food since then.

VIII. Choose a synonym for the phrasal verb in italics.
This milk is off. It has been out of the refrigerator for too long.
a) warm
b) condensed
c) spoiled

IX. Fill in the blanks with an appropriate word. Write only one word in each blank.
Chocolate is a _________ popular treat in today’s modern society. Chocolate is made ___________ the cocoa bean that grows on the cocoa tree. Mayans traders drank chocolate ___________ early as 400 BC. Montezuma, _________ reigned the Aztecs in the 1500's, used to drink 50 cups of chocolate a day to increase his energy and strength. Columbus was the __________ European to discover cacao, but he was not interested in it because it was unsweetened, and, therefore, was not tasty. Hernando Cortez finally _____________ the first cacao beans to Europe in 1528.

X. Correct the spelling mistakes in the following sentences.
Yesterday I went shoping with Alice. We went to a supermarket. I bought some carotts, potatos ,cabagge, and a bottle of wein.

ana bratulic

Back to top Go down

Re: Grammar and vocabulary items - Ana

Post  Marina Mrazovac on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm

I like your test a lot! Smile especially item #6! ;)
good job! Smile

Marina Mrazovac

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi, Ana!

Here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 2: interesting, but since it is culturally bound, it would need to be covered in class prior to the test
- also, which expression are you testing: "sunny side up" or "scrambled eggs"?

- item 4: well developed, allows for creativity Smile
- you've provided specific context in the instructions, which is very useful for the Ss --> consider doing the same for the rest of your items as well
- what are you going to score in these conditional clauses?

- item 5: adding context to the instructions would be helpful (see item 4) for processing the sentences

- item 6: I agree with Marina, this is a really well-developed item for testing both regular and irregular plurals Smile

- item 7: by giving several sentences, you've managed to "make things harder" for the Ss
- on the one hand, that approach ensures that the Ss really need to show knowledge
- on the other hand, by providing so many sentences, you might confuse some of the Ss because it will take them a while to process everything
- consider emphasizing that there is only ONE past simple verb and only ONE past participle to be underlined

- item 8: there are no italics Smile

- item 9: consider adding context (see item 4)
- with cloze tests, it's always useful to develop a set of acceptable answers (it's easier to score)
- consider labeling the gaps (1, 2, 3 or a, b, c)
- in the text, first you have "cocoa bean", and later "cacao beans" --> although it's quite obvious, I would suggest consistency

- item 10: here it would also be useful to add context so that the Ss know what they are going to be reading
- consider indicating how many spelling mistakes there are

Hope you'll find some of the comments useful! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sanja.rabar on Sat May 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Task IV. allows students to be very creative, although this is grammar! Good work!

sanja.rabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top