Developing grammar & vocabulary items - Lorena

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Developing grammar & vocabulary items - Lorena

Post  Lorena Kancijanić on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

1. Circle the correct answer. (1 point)
Children _________ apples and pears last summer for several weeks.
a) pick b) picks c) picked d) picking

2. Decide whether the following statement is true or false. (1 point)
Red meat is healthier than fish. T F

3. Circle the correct article. (1 point)
____ bowl of rice is not a proper lunch.
a) an b) a c) the d) no article

4. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in brackets. (first conditional / 1 point)
If Sue __________ the onions for the salad, Caroline ____________ the mushrooms.

5. Put |p| or |d| in the blanks. (1 point)
My small __ig likes to __ig truffles.

6. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the word chop. (3 points)
We have to ________ two onions. After the onion is _________ we can put it into the pen. __________ onion is not an easy job.

7. Circle the verbs that are in the simple past tense and underline the future. (2 points)
Yesterday my grandma baked some cookies and cooked a great dinner. We ate almost everything and the rest will be eaten for lunch tomorrow.

8. Choose the correct phrasal verb. (1 point)
She _________ the skin _____ the apples for the fruit salad.
a) sliced b) cut c) peeled

9. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words. (2 point)
My friend ________ up all the biscuits we ______ _________ in the oven this morning.

10. Choose the word spelled correctly. (1 point)
Salt is often used together with __________.
a) paper b) peper c) papper d) pepper

Lorena Kancijanić

Back to top Go down

Re: Developing grammar & vocabulary items - Lorena

Post  ana bratulic on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 am

Hi, Lorena!

I think you did a great job with this test! I like the fact that you provided 4 options in each MC question- students' chances of guessing the correct answer are slimmer that way (note to myself: do that too Smile)

Here are just a couple of comments:

Task2 - I am not sure what the correct answer here is (I participated in a fierce debate between vegetarians and non vegetarians recently Smile ). I am not sure whether this sentence tests students' knowledge of vocabulary or nutritional science. It is very difficult to test vocabulary through T/F statements. I really had problems with this task myself.

Task7 -I think we should test students' knowledge of terminology related to both simple and perfect verb tenses here, according to instructions . Perhaps you could include present or past perfect in your sentence.

Task9- - My comment here is of technical nature. Your instructions read "Chose the correct phrasal verb" but you do not give them "whole" phrasal verbs in the options. Perhaps you could give them whole phrasal verbs to choose from or change your instructions; give them the verb and say to supply the appropriate preposition. These are just my suggestions.

See you/read you soon! Smile

ana bratulic

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorena Kancijanić on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks you for your comments! They really have sense Very Happy
I will try to correct my mistakes. I really didn't notice that I haven't written the preposition with the verbs that should be phrasal verbs. My mistake...
And I also know that my T/F sentence is pretty ambiguous. Regarding the task where the students should show their knowledge of terminology, my purpose was to test past simple and future. Should we only test past tenses?!

Thanks again, you helped me a lot Laughing

Lorena Kancijanić

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi, Lorena!

Although Ana has done most of the commenting already, here are some of my observations (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- item 2: similar to Ana's comment, I think this would require knowledge about the nutritional value, not just the knowledge of what to words mean

- item 4: it's not an open-ended task
- reminder: open-ended tasks require the Ss to answer in their own words
- try to think of a task which would require the Ss to use conditionals --> perhaps give some context first
- in that case, you can test both form and usage

- item 5: I really like this item, very imaginative! Smile
- my only concern is whether the Ss would know what truffles are - I suggest you provide some context so the the "dig" part makes sense to somebody who hasn't heard of truffles before

- item 6: stress the required word "chop" in instructions to make it clearer

- item 9: could you please share what the intended answers were? it seems several options would work, in which case you should either anticipate all the possible answers, or revise the item to ensure that only the intended vocabulary item works

- item 10: nice, wisely chosen vocabulary items

In addition to Ana's, I hope some of these comments will be useful! Smile

Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sanja.rabar on Sat May 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Task 10 is quite good because it can be very tricky.

sanja.rabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top