Homework - Lara Crnčan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homework - Lara Crnčan

Post  Lara Crnčan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

Hello, my dear ones Smile Here is the list of the items I considered to be appropriate for Intermediate level Ss. Comments are desired to improve it, in order to make a better test than the one we had to analyse Cool p.s. it looks a bit different in .doc version, but I find it better to post it like a comment.

1. Choose the correct form of the verb. Remember that only one answer is correct.

When Mary arrived home, she _____ the bacon for her husband. (1 point)
a) fryed b) fryied c) fried

2. Decide whether the following statement is true (T) or false (F). Circle the correct letter (T or F).
To slice means to remove the outer covering from fruit / meat / fish. T / F (1 point)

3. Circle the most appropriate form.
Consumption of ___ coffee can help to lose weight, improves normal glucose metabolism and burn excess calories. (1 point)
a) the b) a c) an d) Ø

4. What are the consequences? Complete the sentence. (testing form) (2 points for a conditional form written correctly, 1 point if one of the words used is spelt inaccurately)

If you hadn't eaten so much junk food, ______________________________________ .

5. The following sentence will be read out aloud to you. Fill in the missing letter. (2 points: 0.5 point for each correct letter)
Because it was so _ark in the _ark, I decided to eat that delicious _each on the _each, looking at the moonlight.

6. Circle the correct form of the following noun. (1 point)

A list of the dishes available (as in a restaurant) for a meal is called menu. But also the dishes served may be named so. If you have two of them, you have two…
a) menu b) menu's c) menus d) menues

7. Fill in the blank correctly and then decide which tense you have used. Circle the correct answer. (2 points: 1 point for filling in the blank correctly, 1 point for circling the correct answer)
By the time I came home, my mother _________ (cook, already) a great meal.
a) Past Simple – active voice
b) Past Perfect – active voice
c) Past Simple – passive voice
d) Past Perfect – passive voice

8. Choose the correct preposition from the box to build the most appropriate phrasal verb. There are two extras. (5 points: 1 point for each correct phrasal verb)

UP DOWN UP AT AWAY ON OFF

The sauce was too thin and needed to be boiled _____.
He has put _____ some sandwiches but is still hungry.
We were so busy talking that we only picked _____ our food.
Can you collect up the starter plates, while I dish _____ the main course?

I knocked myself ____ a quick meal from what was left in my fridge.

9. Fill in each blank with a suitable word. Write each answer in the space provided in the passage. (5 points: 1 for each suitable word)

In the simplest terms, if you want to loose 1) ________, your daily food should be a little below normal. If you 2) ________ overweight, no matter how serious this problem may appear, you need 3) _________ of the right foods to provide energy for your daily activities. If you are underweight 4) _______ want to gain, your eating food should be above normal, consisting 5) _______ foods that will build muscle tissue and no fat. Whatever your problem, the first thing you must learn to do is to eat at certain times.

10. Some words will be read out to you. Write them down correctly. (3 points: 1 point for each word spelt correctly)
cucumber, cabbage, appetite

Last edited by Lara Crnčan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to write the number of points Ss may gain, I'm sorry about that :))

Lara Crnčan

Back to top Go down

Re: Homework - Lara Crnčan

Post  Ivona Matkovic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi, Lara!

This looks like very good test! I wouldn't change anything.
My favorite exercise is number 4 because the answer allows the students to be creative in their use of language and it is not often the case in tests like these. Smile

Ivona

Ivona Matkovic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dijana Lovaković on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I simply love your instructions!!! They are clear and they avoid all possible ambiguity! I know we should criticize, but at this point I can not detect any flaws.

Dijana Lovaković

Back to top Go down

Post  Lara Crnčan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Thank you, girls Smile We'll see how it looks like by the end of the course Smile

See you tomorrow,

Lara Smile

Lara Crnčan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mladen Marinac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 am

I really like your test, too. My observations and suggestions:

4) it seems to me a bit harsh to take 1 point for a single spelling error ( maybe you could lower the criteria and take 0.5)

Cool I'm not sure, but it seems to me you put emphasis on the form of these verbs ( you ask them to add only the appropriate particle). I am not certain if your item tests meaning of these verbs.

Hope these remarks we'll help you to design the best test EVER!! Very Happy

Mladen Marinac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mladen Marinac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:25 am

second remark refers to the item no. 8 Smile

Mladen Marinac

Back to top Go down

Post  Irena on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 am

Hi, Lara!

You've already received feedback (which I will not repeat) from your team mates, but allow me to add some of my observations as well (please, consider them suggestions, rather than instructions):

- first of all, I simply must commend your instructions! As Dijana said, they are clear and avoid all possible ambiguity! Excellent work! Smile

- item 2: perhaps leave out the slash (/) between T and F --> you have the sign in the sentence already, so it might be a bit confusing for the Ss

- item 3: maybe "option" would be more appropriate than "form" in the instructions

- item 4: it could be useful to add some context, e.g. "Lily ate too much junk food. What might her friend Ted tell her?..."

- item 6: try to rephrase the sentences (there is redundancy which makes it difficult to process)

- item 7: creative approach, nice Smile

- item 9: again, it might be useful to add some context so that the Ss know what to expect

- item 10: try to think of a way to make this task more authentic Smile

- generally, how could you make your whole test more authentic?

Hope some of these comments will be useful for you! Smile

Irena
Admin

http://assessment.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top